21/02/2013

Summer Berry Smoothie



As we're now getting towards the end of winter and coming into the spring and the weather starts to get a little warmer (I can always live in hope!), I think this recipe is a nice easy recipe that I hope you will enjoy and experiment with to get it to your own tastes.

I'm always looking for inspiration when it comes to breakfast and like to change it up sometimes and a nice smoothie is a change from the norm: toast, cereal or porridge and occasionally the odd pancake. They're also a great way to sneak more fruit into your diet, so that you can top up on those vitamins and minerals (never a bad idea!).

I find this recipe cool and soothing and the beauty of this is that you can use whatever fruit you wish to. You don't have to worry about the fruit going off, because it is frozen and it literally takes a few minutes to make and have your breakfast in the glass ready. The use of frozen berries is purely for ease for me as I find that I don't go through enough   fresh fruit to make smoothies. You can experiment with whatever fruit that you like and alter this to your tastes. 

I'll be testing out some other smoothies and milkshakes, which i'll share with you as I experiment with these. I've also heard of people putting kale and spinach into smoothies as well, so I may have to try this out as well.



Makes 2 large glasses or 3 smaller glasses

Ingredients:

2 cups of frozen fruit (Asda's frozen summer fruits are what I used)
2 cups of milk (you can use whatever milk you want to for this)
6 tablespoons of natural yoghurt (I used Lancashire Farm natural probiotic yoghurt)
1 banana - I used a ripe banana

Method:
  1. Place all of the ingredients in the blender and blend until smooth.
  2. If the smoothie is a little to thick then you can add some more milk.
Notes:
If you find that you are reaching for those snacks early morning and the smoothie isn't sustaining you, you can always add half a cup of gluten free oats to the smoothie and blend with all of the other ingredients.

I'd be interested to hear if any of you have used vegetables in your smoothies.



No comments:

Post a Comment