25/05/2013

Quinoa, Feta Cheese, Peppers and Tomato Salad

Now initially this was also supposed to be with chicken, which I still think would be a nice addition to this salad. We had a fairly busy day today though and decided to go to Doncaster wildlife park, which I really enjoyed and as I've not really been since it has been built up and more animals have been brought in. We then went out for lunch in town, where I had a lovely gluten free burger with cheese sauce. This meant that I didn't particularly want something too heavy and left out the chicken on this occasion (this was possibly also due to me being a little tired but shhhh....)


I loved the Feta cheese in this recipe, I think it worked really well in this. The quinoa is also something that takes on the other flavours really well. This is definitely something that I would have again and it was really quick to make.

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup / mug of quinoa
  • 1 handful of cherry tomatoes (chopped in half)
  • 200 g Feta Cheese
  • 2 handfuls of frozen, sliced peppers
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • Salt

Method:
  1. Boil the kettle, then put the quinoa with 2 cups / mugs into a pan and bring to the boil. Salt the water, then turn the heat down and put a lid on the pan. Leave to cook for approximately 15 minutes, until all the water have been absorbed and the quinoa is cooked through. Leave to one side to cool a little.
  2. Cook the frozen peppers in a little oil in a frying pan on a medium - high heat, until the peppers have cooked through.
  3. Place the peppers, quinoa and lemon juice in a bowl. Stir thoroughly, add the cherry tomatoes and crumble the cheese into the mixture. Mix this through and serve either on its on or with some griddled chicken.
I really fancy making this with feta cheese and sun dried tomatoes, as I think this would be really nice. There could be a few more recipes like this over the summer as I really enjoyed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment