24/02/2013

Gluten Free Bread


I decided I was going to give gluten free bread another go this weekend, it's one of the things that I haven't had much success in yet. For those of you who do not eat gluten, you can probably understand when I say it's one of the things I miss the most. There are some pretty good free from breads now out of the market, but I don't really think it compares to baking your own. There's something both comforting and exciting about smelling the freshly baked smell and eating a slice that's still warm out of the oven.



The bread was nice and crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. This recipe was adapted from the original, which can be found here . I did change the ingredients slightly, as this was what I had in the house. I was going to make this in the slow cooker as I've seen this being talked about on some other blogs. Sadly, my bread tin would not fit into the slow cooker so I did just stick to the regular method of putting it in the airing cupboard and then the oven.

Ingredients:

475 g of luke warm water
1 sachet of fast action yeast
100 ml of natural yoghurt (I used Lancashire Farm natural yoghurt)
300 g cornflour
150 g Doves Farm Gluten Free white bread flour
1 tsp caster sugar
1 tsp salt
50 g psyllium husk powder
50 ml olive oil

Method:

  1. Mix the water with the yeast and natural yoghurt.
  2. In another bowl mix the flour, sugar, salt, psyllium husk.
  3. Pour in the yeast mixture and the olive oil until a batter starts to form.
  4. This should turn into a sticky dough after 5 minutes.
  5. Knead the dough for about 10 minutes.
  6. Put into an oiled loaf tin for about 30 - 45 minutes and cover with a damp tea towel and put into the airing cupboard. You can also put it next to a radiator or next to a warm oven.
  7. Meanwhile, please preheat your oven to 240 C.
  8. Put the load into the oven for approximately 40 minutes.


I did like how this turned out and will definitely try again, I may have to play around with the mixture a little and possibly try the linseeds. I may also try making a sour dough, as I believe other people have had some success with this.

**Edit - it does not refreshing in the microwave or toasted on the 2nd day before use again**

Let me know your favourite gluten free bread recipes and if you've had any success.

No comments:

Post a Comment