26/02/2013

Review: DS Gluten Free Margherita Pizza

Today, I was planning to blog about a lovely slow roasted lamb dish that I had planned. However, due to a bit of drama over dinner and lack of time, we decided instead to have Pizza. Although this is not something I wish to eat all the time (mainly for health reasons and the fact that I couldn't get away with it!), I do really enjoy it. This is one of the things I missed the most when when I initially stopped eating gluten. It's getting a lot easier now though, with Dominos and Pizza Hut providing a gluten free alternative as well as some of the local fast food restaurants.

Today I tried the DS Gluten Free Margherita Pizza, which I must admit was not bad. It didn't take long to cook and it tasted pretty good for a frozen meal. I added a few slices of Prosciutto Ham to mine to make the topping a bit different, as I didn't really fancy the pepperoni alternative today. 


I enjoyed this as convenience food, I will try and make my own gluten free pizza base again soon. I love pizzas with a crème fraiche topping more like the french have, so I'm going to put this on my long list of things to try and make!


Taste:

It tasted ok for a frozen meal, the tomato and cheese flavours came through. Though I did add proscuitto ham to mine to liven it up a bit.

Texture / Consistency:

The texture of the pizza was ok, fairly crispy which I enjoyed. I prefer the thin and crispy bases to deep pan in general.

Price

Price was £2.68 from Asda 26/02/13, which I'd say is a little more than you're average pizza but I didn't find this too expensive in comparison.

Calories

335 calories per 1/2 pizza or 670 for the full pizza, which isn't bad compared to other pizzas. The calories do not include my extra topping of prosciutto.

Ratings: 

3.5 / 5

I would buy this again for convenience, but if I'm honest I do prefer Dominos Gluten Free Pizzas, but these are slightly more expensive to order. I've read on the site that there are several safety precautions put in place to ensure there is no cross contamination, but this still means that they're being made in the same place as normal Pizzas.

What are people's thoughts on this, do you think its enough to say that there are procedures in place to prevent cross contamination? Has anyone had any adverse affects from eating Dominos gluten free pizzas?

I'm personally not Celiac so can tolerate it more if I do have some gluten, but I know there are some people out there who are more senstive that I am.


No comments:

Post a Comment